- The district serves a population base of approximately 5,000. The mild climate supports a flourishing agricultural economy of dairy, cotton, rice, sugar beets, tomatoes, and other leading commodities.
- Several colleges and universities are located within a one hour drive, including Merced College, California State Universities in Fresno and Turlock (Stanislaus), and Fresno Pacific University. In addition, other universities offer educational programs within the county.
- The county seat located in Merced offers most governmental, professional, and commercial services. The community of Dos Palos includes a hospital, doctors, dentists, optometrist, shopping areas, many churches, and recreational facilities, including a teen activities center, several parks, sports activity leagues for adults and children and a swimming pool. Surrounding recreational areas include the San Luis Reservoir and O'Neill Fore bay for fishing, windsurfing, jet skiing, and other water sports and National and State Wildlife Refuges for viewing, hunting and other outdoor activities.
- Dos Palos - Oro Loma is proud to have community centered schools. The schools are firmly involved in community activities and the community strongly supports the local schools and programs.
- Through the use of the latest technology, including strong computer components at each school site, it is the goal of the Dos Palos - Oro Loma Joint Unified School District to enhance a well rounded, up-to-date curriculum that will meet the needs of all students and the community.
The Dos Palos - Oro Loma Joint Unified School District serves a student population of approximately 2,600 in six schools:
- Dos Palos Elementary School (K-2)
- Marks Elementary School (3-5)
- Bryant Middle School (6-8)
- Dos Palos High School (9-12)
- George Christian (Continuation and Community Day School)